This evening at Durning Hall Community Centre in Forest Gate, the ‘Save Newham Services’ campaign finally became a reality with a planning meeting to formalise local opposition to cuts in public services. The campaign aims to:
- Publicise, encourage, support and provide solidarity to local opposition to cuts in the London Borough of Newham.
- Provide a point of contact and coordination for local opposition to cuts in the borough.
- Research and publicise the potential impact of cuts on people living in Newham.
- Put pressure on local elected representatives to stand alongside local people to insist that cutting services is dangerous, unnecessary and must be opposed.
- Ensure that our local experience is fed upwards to all regional and national opposition to the government’s cuts programme.
- Call for greater transparency and accountability within public services in Newham.
The next planning meeting is on Thursday 18 November at 6.30pm, again at Durning Hall Community Centre. It is open to anyone who wants to get involved in developing and widening the campaign.